Sunday, October 17, 2010

All roads lead to ,,,,,,,,

well, not Juneau Alaska LOL
As the locals know there are no roads out of or into Juneau. You can drive 40 miles out to Berners Bay which is a really nice drive but then you turn around and come back. Reminds me of when I was stationed at KMCAS in Hawaii way back when. The most exciting thing when I returned to the mainland was being able to get in the car and going somewhere in a straight line forever. 8)
Sort of like last October when my daughter Amanda and her family was moving to Montana. They were selling all thier stuff for the move when I had an epiphany (if you dont know what that is dont worry I am guessing on both the meaning and the spelling LOL just had to use my big word for the day) I thought heck it would cost more for them to replace thier stuff than if I drove it down there and besides I could get out of here for a week or two and drive somewhere.
So, I rented a U-haul (this is called "product placement" which if in the movies would net me big bucks so if U-haul reads this you owe me) trailer, let them load all the stuff they had left into it, grabbed Sammie (7 years old then) and headed for Montana. It weas an amazingly fun trip. Sammie was old enough to stay awake, notice stuff, and talk non-stop for over 2,000 miles. At one point we were driving through the mountains just past Muncho Lake in a pretty decent snow storm. I was driving maybe 35 in 4 wheel drive on a narrow twisted mountain road when we were passed on a curve by a motorcycle loaded with backpacks and one warm looking person. I dont know which was more surprising the fact that a motorcycle passed this big 4x4 truck in a snowstorm or that a motorcycle passed this big 4x4 truck in a snowstorm on a narrow mountain road at midnight. But a great trip that Sammie remembers as much as I do.
Did I ever tell you about my trip down there last July? Amanda's mother was visiting and I showed up unexpectedly and surprised everyone. Well, we were all riding around doing what girls and their mothers seem to like doing more than me, SHOPPING. I dont care if they were spending thier own money, geez, how many stores can you shop in, in a day. So, anyway, I was whining about it and wanting to look at motor homes while down there so between stores Amanda pulled into a motorhome dealer and Sammie and I got out to look while they talked (and planned more ,,,,,,, shopping)
Sammie and I looked at a few and each had our favorites. On the way back to go ,,,,, shopping we stopped in the office to ask about the three we liked best. The two I liked were in the $120,000 range. I use to complain about the price of a nice truck saying it doesnt even have a bathroom, well these had bathrooms, kitchens and bedrooms but wow $120k for something on wheels. ( and just think I live in a Mobile Home that sort of like a motor home minus the motor right?)
Sammie asked about her favorite one and I almost fell over at the $379,000 price tag. I turned and saw Sammie heading for the door and asked where she was going. She said "to get your checkbook grandpa and tell mommy I am riding home with you." 8)  Oh the beauty of youth.
Anyway, I digress (another big word), I am in the process of building a 16 x 8 storage shed along side my dumpy mobile. Today Jessica was helping me when she stopped and said what's that.
I answered I wasnt sure so she uncovered it a bit more we uncovered even more and was becoming shocked, amazed, astounded what did we have here It looked like, oh my, it seemed loke (I am so excited I cant type) wow, a baby T-rex. A very well preserved baby T-rex. I told Jessica we had to call in the sceintists, those that work on such things whether they be Archeologists, Anthropologists, or whatever one of those *gists types followed by a PHD in their name. She said why and picked it up. She actually PICKED UP this well preserved baby T-rex. I looked for the well preserved baby T-rex but she had sat it on the fence where it had fallen into the neighbors yard and thier dog got it 8( So now all I have is this impression of a baby T-rex in my yard.
Tomorrow, no wait thats Sunday. Then Monday, no wait thats Alaska Day, well poop, one day soon I am calling those PHD types and telling them about this hysterical (did I spell that right LOL) find in my yard.
I have stopped work on the shed due to this now being an officially declared (by me) Archeological "dig" and historical site.
It's both exciting and a shame because now my garage still looks like this . Oh Hi Ashleigh. She has a nice story about us pulling the engine on Dans truck over on her blog. She forgets to mention that I had ordered pizza's and wings and then went to get Root Beer. When I got back there was Ashleigh standing beside the Meat lovers and Hawaian Pizza's and munching on the wings. Did I forget to mention she ate ALL the wings. LOL

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think your archeological dig is a toy pops. But its pretty cool and looks real. =) Nice blog. Enjoy reading them. Love you

T.Hale-Olsson said...

I was going to touch base on dad's finding as well but Amanda you spoke for the both of us! I do enjoy your blog dad, you are so funny in some and than in others you are laid back. Thank you for all the updates you share, I look forward to reading them!.

All my love, Tam

Jess said...

LMAO, Nice Blog Entry about the Baby T-Rex we found! Talk about an adventure! Sure was a cute little guy, too bad the neighbors dog is using it as a chew toy about now, We could have been Millionaires!! =) Love ya Pop!

Ashleigh said...

I did NOT eat all the chicken wings. There was 20 and only ate around 15 of them.
Too bad the neighbor dog ate your historical find. You should follow it around and dig through its poop and you might be able to find some of the bones. Good luck.