Thursday, March 1, 2012

Aravaipa Canyon, the land of NO !!!

Jimmy, and I got up early for a day of "Jeepin". Here he is saying bye to BTM, JTM, and the little lego RV Sammy made for us on our last visit.

We spent awhile trying to figure out where we wanted to go, lets see there is the trip to Mammoth, Az. then south along the San Pedro River, to return to Tucson via reddington then back here.
Or, up the 4 wheel drive road up the backside of Mt. Lemon. But I've done that one long ago and as exciting as it was we decided we wanted new.
Or, Aravaipa Canyon. It's a beautiful canyon where an oasis is in the desert supported by the year round creek called Araviapa. It's claim to fame is the sheer linestone cliffs running along either side of the canyon and the river at the bottom where there are trees, and lush fields. There was a sign that said "Government Property, No parking, standing, picnicking, camping, or going offroad. Advance permits are required to hike the trails" Should have been followed by enjoy your park or something. That sign was followed by another that said there is a lot of private property along the road, and within the park, no dust, do not leave roadway, 15 mph, unmaintained road. Just a bunch of No's.

My phone died early on so the pics were retireved from the internet though Jimmy and I did see the sites. Jessica was kind enough to point out there were a lot of caves if Iwas into that. I said I was, she followed with but you wouldn't fit there is one south of tucson called Collosal Cave that would be more your size. Yuk, Yuk, Yuk  ,,,,,,,, Brat !!!!!  Good thing she's my kid LOL

We figured on an adventure like this we'd better get some provisions. So while I topped of the tank (2 gal) and filled the extra can Jimmy got the food. While I was there pumping my $3.52 gas a guy came out and changed the price to $3.60. I asked what I paid, he said I had started pumping before he made the change. woot, woot, as someone says on instagram.

I looked towards the store and here comes the Jimster lugging two plastic bags. I said he little elf dude what the heck did you buy, the store? I took the ice and put it in the cooler then the crush strawberry soda, the crush grape soda, the root beer, the pepsi, the breakfast sandwich's, the lunch cheeseburger's, and the chips. Jeez Jimmy ya get enough? He said it was hot and we'd be out in the desert and the mountains. What if we got stranded? I asked about water and he produced a to-go plastic cup and said the ice will melt. LOL So, off we go headed east on hwy 77.

As we were driving we came to the Biosphere II sign and I looked at Jimmy and said I remeber when Biosphere 1 was built. I heard it didnt work out so lets go check out Biosphere II (this is where my phone/camera died so the next pics are coutesy of the internet) The $20 each admission didnt stop us. In fact we made a circle without stopping and headed back to the Jeep. We did see 4 Alaska plates in the parking lot.
Bioshere II is owned and operated by the University of Arizona to study the flow of water. ie; evaporation, cloud, rain, lake, evaporation. It is a complete eco system as you can see if you look inside the glass at the big trees.

Here's a view inside,
 now is time to move on. We left Bioshere II $20 richer (each) and headed for San Manuel which is an old open pit copper mining town. It closed years ago about the time copper prices sank, causing Phelps Dodge to close San Manuel, Bisbee, Copper Hill, Kayenta, and other mining operations including the associated smelting of the ore at smelters in Douglas, Winkleman, and over by Safford. Then Mammmoth another severely depressed town. Finally we found the road to Aravaipa Canyon. A dirt road which eventually got very fun to drive. We were following the Araviapa Creek and saw some amazingly large crops, as well as homes etc. on the ranches. The following pictures are again from the internet. I didnt hike into the canyon because you had to pre-purchase your permit at least 14 days in advance. And for you doubters who may think I couldn't hike it anyways. Well I'll have you know the first 1/2 mile was downhill and I roll very well. probrably get up enough momentum to do the whole 3 miles.


We got to the trail head and I said lets break out lunch Jimbo. He handed me my cup, opened the cooler which had quite a bit of good cold water sloshing around in it and nothing else but wrappers, and empty bottles. I said lunch huh? He smiled LOL


We then drove awhile in the mountains enjoying 4 wheeling and the dust. Finally coming out to pavement we went on up to Winkleman where we drove around looking at the town. Then home where we are resting, to tired to empty the Jeep right now. So ,,,,

A fun day , now some relaxing time and then planning tomorrow.
Til then 8)

2 comments:

Ashleigh said...

sounds like a fun adventure. I should give you my Nikon point and shoot camera so you can take some good pictures of your outings!

An Alaskan Gypsy said...

Yeah, a camera would be nice but I found a small charger that works in the cig lighter in the Jeep so maybe the problem is solved.
Find out on tomorrows adventure. 8)
It was fun today though 8)