Saturday, April 21, 2012

always look over the ledge, especially when there's a sign that says not to ,,,,

Well, I arose today trying to remember what day it was. LOL
Yesterday was a laundry, cleaning type of day with a really good cheese stuffed meatloaf for dinner. (Thanks Tracey and Jerry)
Tomorrow I am going with Jerry and his sons up on Marys Peak looking for deer and also to see where a road goes. It's behind a locked gate so a-walking-we-will-go.
That means today must be Saturday, cool, ok, now what.
Then I remembered that the other day I had gone to the Chamber of Commerce here in Philomath and gotten a bunch of tourista brochures, so I got them out and looked at them all.
There was one for Silver Falls State Park which sounded good. I like waterfalls and bridges so,,,,,, a-walking-we-will-go. Actaully they have biking trails so I hooked up the ol bike-a-roony and Jimmy and I headed Northeast.

10 miles East on 34, then 26 miles North on I-5, then 22 East, 214 more East and voila we were there.
On the way we traveled thrugh miles and miles, (or would that be acres and acres which went for miles and miles) of farmland. Other than a few of these pretty yellow fields they were grass seed fields. Was really neat, looked like a lot of unmowed yards. LOL But smelled really good.
Winter Falls at 134 ft. was waterfall # 1

I didnt realize it at first but the headwater up there was actually about 100 feet from where I parked. No wonder it was so close.

The route I had chosen to hike was a 500 foot decent in 2 1/2 miles. Since the whole route was 9 miles I decided to hike this 2 1/2 mile portion down then back up and then get the Jeep and drive to the other three and then hike in to see them. I couldn't bike, turns out the bike trails were paved and only around the rim. So, off to see the waterfalls.

I was sort of surprised how big the water fall looked and how small the stream that flowed from it was. Guess it had to do with the way it spread and flattened as it broke over that ledge. About 3/4 mile downstream was a bridge over the actual Silver River.
This is where the trail split one way to the right which went to North falls was closed (thus the decision to drive the 3 miles over there) and left which follows the river dowstream and some more waterfalls. remember we are dropping a total of 500 feet in this 2 1/2 miles so each waterfall though on the same river is downstream in flow as well as elevation.
Did you notice the cliffs around Winter Falls? It was a boxed in canyon. As you'll notice with the exception of Double Falls which is another tributary like Winter Falls this is a series of boxed in canyons each higher than the next if you were coming upstream.

This rivers about 30 feet wide and runs fast as you'll see.
About 1/2 mile down is the most impressive waterfall on this route.

This would be called the ollllll pooooooop moment.
(Notice there is no more water? Wanna guess why?)

Here's a partial view of the other side of the previous picture taken from downstream


Just to my right and down a little is one of those signs that says go no mo. Remember what the title is?

Now honestly, who wouldn't climb through that blockade for a shot here?

from behind the watefall. Still a ways down to the river though.

Still looking out from behind the waterfall

I was behind that. I walked all the way behind it to the other side but the trail ended.
Pretty impressive waterfall.

Next downstream was a rather small but still cool one called Drake.



Turn right here and go upstream to Double Falls which as I said is a tributary which enters the main river under this bridge. Notice the water stops again just ahead. Guess what that means, yep another waterfall.


Look up, the upper falls is smaller and to the right side of the top

There is that a bit better. Back down to the river and the last waterfall on this route.

This canyon is quite moist from the mist, and the river and a lot of vegetation grows here.
So, the 2 1/2 mile mark is here. I could go further but the trail winds around another 3 miles to South Falls which is back to the Jeep then drive a mile or so then a walk of only a mile, North Falls is the same only the other direction, duh lol. Its only a mile or so then 80 steps down to it. So I talked to my little friend

Oh, you thought I meant Jimmy, the Jimster, ol Jimbo. Nope he's back guarding the Jeep and probably eating all the lunch.
Time to do the 2 1/2 mile trek back oh yeah and the now 500 foot accent. LOL

Sadly, I stopped and took a video of the Middle North Falls on the way back but this syrupy slow connection wont let me upload it.
Getting back to the Jeep I was bushed, (thats tired in the Australian Outback LOL) so decided to head home and come back another day for the other waterfalls.

The farmland on the way back

It was a 75 degree, sunny day. A great hike and some amazing waterfalls. Most definitely worth both the drive and the effort.

Isnt it an amazing world that was created for us to enjoy?

Till next time.




2 comments:

norma said...

Hey, what lovely pic. I wish I had tht kind of energy. Waterfalls are so beautiful. I didn't get to enjoy much of Oregon when I lived there. Glad you are able to do all these great things. Norma

Dan said...

Cool falls. I guess this means we gotta go do alot of hikes when you get back.