Monday, April 30, 2012

A week !!! Already 8)

Wow, a week has gone by already. Let's see, where to begin? I guess at the beginning of the week huh.

While it was a good week for me, my younger brother who already has major health issues was flown 150 miles to TMC 3 times. Finally they removed or repaired his Thyroid and he called me today saying he felt much better. So, for that I am thankful

My week was a lot more positive. I am visiting an ol friend from Haines Alaska and her family. Last Sunday her husband Jerry, his son Rick, and I went up to Marys Peak to hunt/hike.
I got out of the truck thinking that doesnt look to bad, probably flattens out around the corner.
Maybe the next corner

We filled our water bottles here. It was 2 miles til they decided to turn back and it never flattened out. That hike killed me but I kept up and did not stop. In fact when we turned around I walked an extra 5 feet just to say ,,,,, LOL

The view, and yes it was worth it.

I was hurting the next morning but it felt so good. A little Aleve and a flat walk the mile and a half to the store helped loosen the legs up. Seems I should be built like a Ewing now after all this hiking and climbing but I GAINED a few pounds. Go figure LOL

Did some routine chores through the week, cleaning, etc.
Friday I was whining about being bored and my friend Tracey mentioned they wanted to remove two walls to make the living room bigger.
A project, I jumped on it. I was so eager I forgot to take a before picture
I left to get some tools from the RV and the kids cleaned the mess up. Made me a happy camper. I then cleaned the lens on the camera. LOL
I told Tracey I would return in the morning and help Jerry on the rest of it.
A bite of dinner. A good nights sleep.
Hmmm, just like I left it yesterday 8)
Jerry did the corner by the front door, we removed the post and the boards on the cieling and floor and I relocated/rewired the three-way switch to the kitchen and a couple outlets. All in all a good day.
They're going to finish the walls when they finish relocating one more wall.
I saw it today and they had moved the dining table and stuff into that area and spread out the living room It looked much more spacious and nice.

When I got back to the RV yesterday I was taking a walk and saw some old cars and stuff accumulating at the Fair Grounds next door to where I am camping.
I went up to check the Marquee and saw that today was an "Antique Car Show and Swap Meet".
What a great after church activity

The event was nice, large, and the weather participated. However the prices were sometimes a tad high. And example is what you see. I only paid attention to the old panel wagon which is rough to say the least. No rear fenders, running gear, interior grill etc. Just what youd expect if you were out in a field and found an old rusty car in a ditch. And for only $2,000 it could be yours. LOL
In retrospect I should have bought this. Anyone that knows me knows that my favorite soda is Root Beer and my favorite Root Beer is Henry Weinhards. How cool to have this in the RV, but as they say you snooze you lose though they may still have it, though I have no idea how to find that out. Dang hindsight. LOL
There's a reason I go to these things with minimum cash. They had old Hot Wheels, Diecast, and just plain old toys. Priced accordingly of course LOL. These Winnabagos were triple digit prices.
Old oil cans, a tire repair kit from the days of vulcanizing the patches.
Even older 1 quart oil containers.  I think I actually like these even better than whats out there now. Recyclable with a nice metal funnel.
Even furniture. Wouldn't this look good in your living room? OK, how about the den or even the garage. Even comes with a flat tire LOL
Another shoulda thing. These would look good on my couch. AT least I wouldn't be traveling alone and my girls wouldn't worry as much. But then again, it is Homer. LOL
Imagine pulling up behind me on the highway and these guys sitting on a platform on the back of the RV waving at you.
$ 400 but what you see is what you get. There is nothing under the hood nor in the interior area.
Awww Go carts, I like go carts. A brief story about my youngest and her go cart. We lived at the Border Station in Haines Alaska and she was 13'ish. We got her a go cart and she drove it everywhere like a wild girl. The driveway came off of the highway with a verysteep slope about 30 feet high. She'd get the cart going full speed along the highway then launch it off that slope. I re-welded the front end back onto that thing at least 5 times. But she had a ball with it and when i sold it the word used was two words short. It was missing very, very, ,,,,,,
My first car was when I was 11 for my birthday. We lived 65 miles and across the state line from my school and so I had a special license to drive to school. It was a 1949 Ford but I couldn't find a representative car to take a picture of. Here is my 2nd car. Only mine was white, painted by me with a brush, roller, and latex paint.
Another brief story, my younger brother (the one mentioned above who is sick) played football and was not a small kid however he knew nothing about cars. I was a teen car nut and thus knew everything LOL. I had rebuilt the flathead V-8 in my pickup and he wanted to help so I let him install the head bolts. We couldn't afford a torqe wrench so I told him to tighten them snug the 1/2 turn so they would all be equal. After a while I overheard him say Dang, not again, so I walked over and asked him what was up. He said I dont know, I do as you said but when I go that extra 1/2 turn they keep breaking. he had snapped 6 head bolts off inside the block, and as a result keeping me busy for a long time fixing it. Of course I didnt let him re-install them afterwards. His idea of snug was a lot tighter than mine it seemed. LOL
When I went to Vietnam at the end of 1967 I had asked my parents if I sent money home would they buy me a car when I came back. When the time came I wanted a new 1969 Mercury Cougar. (I made 4153 a month including hazardous duty pay, but the car was only around $2,000 new then LOL)
Well, we were poor and they needed the money, so, make this car grey and you'd have the car waiting for me at home. At first I was disappointed, I mean c'mon, it had 4 doors. But it had a 4 on the tree which means a 4-speed on the column not the floor. It was fast and eventually I really liked it. I sold it when I left for Hawaii to a fellow Marine.
While in Hawaii I bought a T-bird that I fondly referred to as a Thunderchicken. I found it in a junk yard under a stack of three cars. I took it on base and found out a lot of Mustang parts fit so I repaired it. I painted it USMC Green as thats the only paint I could afford. After returning home I had it painted in Mexixo to a red simular to this one. Then I took it to Camp Pendleton after re-enlisting. The top comes off making it a roadster which was really nice along the Southern California Coast. I really liked that car.
When I retired and was selling things to get money for an RV and to get started I sold my Vette. This isn't it but it is a twin. Lots of fun drives in this little car, especially out the road.

Every old car show has to have an old military vehicle Its almost a requirement.
The Buick Fireball was a straight 8 which replaced the Straight 6 in 1931 and was a staple in the Buick Stable until the early 50's. This car was a racer but I couldn't find out anything else about it. Notice the hood ornament, and the straps holding the hood down.
A 1948 Jeep with a tad bit of modifications. and a nice bke on the front of the trailer.

There were a lot of used swap meet displays as well as Old Cars that I didnt put on here. The show and swap meet was fun and I enjoyed walking around wanting and yet coming home with all my moola.

11 days and I head North, lets see what I can do in those last days in Oregon.

5 comments:

norma said...

Looks like you had a lot of fun that day. Sorry to hear about your brother,yet glad he is doing better. Have fun for me while your at it. Norma

Dan said...

Oh man, I should have come and visited you on Sunday.

norma said...

Hey what you been up to? I was hoping for more adventure. It's the only out I have. Hope thing are fine with you. Continue to have fun.
Norma

Linda W. said...

Great read Bruce! Wish we were there with you! L&V Weber

norma said...

hey there,
haven't heard from you in a while, what are you doing? Hope you are fine and doing ok, maybe just busy.