Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Jimmy + Fishing = Breakfast

Yesterday morning I was awaken by a boisterous Jimmy singing dancing, and being ,,,,,, an Elf. He said he woke up really happy and was doing his happy dance. (I think it was all the Fudge he ate at work). He said he wanted to go fishing since he had never been and we had just purchased him a fishing rod and gear.

Since the Box was still having health issues (going into shop today actually) as well as the little box we decided to walk to the fishing hole on the river. It's only a couple of miles taking "normal" steps however taking Elf steps it seemed forever.

We passed a place called the Town Pump in town where one of our hosts works and said "Hi, we're going fishing" She told us a couple of good places to go and let us use her Jeep.

After driving out to Mary's River Park we hiked through the woods to a nice spot to fish. Jimmy got his gear out. I helped him get it all together and a-fishing-he-did-go.

You can tell by the smile on his face how happy he was out there in the woods alongside the river with a hook in the water like so many boys of the world. There is a part of Jimmy that wishes he was real like Pinocchio. But this is real life and I keep telling him he's pretty special like he is and besides how many Plaster Elves did he know that actually has a fan club? Huh?

Jimmy fished, and I sat in a lawn chair watching him totally enjoying what he was doing. We talked about our trip, his trip to Montana in the box (because he was afraid to fly I put him in a box and shipped him down) How much he enjoyed meeting friends along the way, and what was in store after the Big Box was fixed. He was a little disappointed that the Yeep wasn't getting repaired as we had hoped and kidded me about my driving in Tucson that contributed to the repairs needed on the Big Box. We discussed how much he missed the friends we had met, and the life in Juneau. However he agrees with me that as much as we miss Juneau having sunshine everyday was mucho bettero than rain every day. We agreed that a mixture of both was best and not solely one over the other.

After awhile we were getting ready to ,,,,,,,, oh wait,      wow, he got a bite. Jimmy is so totally excited he dropped his pole. I told him to grab it and he did and brought in a nice little Perch. Boy, there was no leaving now, we were here and Jimmy was so excited. He had caught his first fish.

It took me back in time to when I was 7 or so. We lived outside Dallas Texas and my step-brothers Mike and Jerry had come to visit. Mike had taken me fishing and we were standing on a little bridge over a creek, I had a cane pole, and was fishing with a float or bobber. I had a massive strike and, just like Jimmy, was so excited. I remember Mike was equally excited and when my pole bent almost in half he was yelling at me to pull it in, it was a big one. Just as my pole snapped he reached out and grabbed the line and saved my catch. We had a rule at our house you catch it, you clean it. (that was my Mom's rule) so I don't remember what everyone else had for dinner (probably Armadillo Stew or something just as scrumptious) but MOI? I had fish, and a dang good fish it was.

After a while jimmy hooked three fish and we decided it was time to go as he still had to clean them, and he wanted them for breakfast.. So a-home-we-did-go. There is a sign in the RV that says "Home is where I park" so that's where we headed, to where we were parked.

While jimmy cleaned his fish. I explained the cooking part since that was a first for him as well. We could have baked them, but pan-fried, ummm, ummmm, ummm so much better.

Being that he had caught three I was invited to share and we had a good breakfast of pan fried Perch, corn pones, fried potatoes with onions, with the mandatory Root Beer. Henry Wiengards of course. And some Fudge for desert.

Time for work Jimmy, he whined a bit and said he wanted to go catch lunch and I said no you have a responsibility and they are depending on you so ff to work you go. I even cleaned up the mess. And what a mess, I should have got a picture, but the grease from all the frying, the cornmeal from corn poning, the smell from onion-ing, etc, etc, etc. I had a job to do. (He didn't want to use a lid on the frying pan because he couldn' t see his fish.

But Jimmy, and I had an amazing morning, now it's time to prep the big box for a day at the car doctor.


1 comment:

Dan said...

You have a talent in telling elf adventures!