Thursday, August 18, 2011

took the trash out again ,,,,,

for the third time. at the house, where I am visiting in Arizona. I took it out the morning I arrived and twice more, meaning I've been here 2 weeks. Time to move on? Somedays i think yes somedays no. I would however pay heavily to go to the Antartic about now. The A/C in my RV rebels with these 100+ temps. I feel like the wagon in that picture today. LOL
However for those interested the cactus in front is a barrel cactus and travelers of history could cut off the top and get a water of sorts, rather bitter but it would keep you alive. The Saguaro cactus behind the wagon I call the Desert Sentinel, supposedly the arms represent approx. 50 years of age each so this fella was there way before the wagon. The wagon is just plain cool, it's old and well, cool. LOL

I try to walk a mile every morning and evening and the other morning ventured off the trail and found this little gem of a photo.

Last week I went to Douglas and on the way while in Sierra Vista jimmy wanted to get out, stretch, and say Hi so i took a pic. of Jimmy for you. (may need your glasses he is rather short and standing right in front of the rear tire)

Doulgas is a small border town in the very far Southwest corner of the state. It's also where I went to High School but it was so miserably hot. plus I was asked to run back to Tucson so I didnt stay. I will be returning though to visit my brother and his family for more than a couple hours, and look around at the old homestead.

Speaking of old homesteads I lived 5 places in Sierra Vista and not a single one was standing. I did visit an old friend and her husband. The kids know her as Donna Pratt and it was a nice visit. Her husband Mike is an old car buff like me and also retired. My next trip down there will include a Sunday in S.V. so I can have lunch with donna and her daughter and her family> Other than the heat I am enjoying Tucson, nice seeing old friends and others.

My trip down was fun, did 2,000 miles in 2 1/2 days and that included visiting Jack Carver in Colorado Springs for a few hours. (Jack used to work with my but had a major stroke at work, he's doing mucho bettero and is living in Colorado with his daughter and her family.

I was going to go visit Sasha's parents in the mountains of Northern New Mexico but got to the area to late and it was small mountain roads the fun kind to drive in a vette or something but not a big box on wheels towing a little box on wheels at night with all the wildlife romping and jumping across the road. So, I left the New Mexico / Colorado border Tuesday morning  and arrived in Tucson Az. around 10 that night.

I stopped in a place called Wagon Mound in New Mexico. A really small place but saw a bunch of restored old vehicles traveling the highway, must have had a show or something going on. I guess that Butte is what the name refers to.

After a morning of driving in the triple digit heat I had mixed feelings about seeing this sign. I spent a lot of my life living in Arizona and as such was happy but I also knew what the next couple hundred miles were like to travel especially in the middle of the day at the beginning of August. HOT, it started here and still hasn't ended. LOL The drive to Flagstaff was just plain hot, I stopped at Little America and got gas and enjoyed the much cooler temps then started south on I-17 a road I had traveled a lot since we lived at the Grand Canyon for a long time. Was going to go up there on the way but I was rushing because my brother was in the hospital so ,,,,  arrived Tucson Arizona 10 at night and still 1,000 degrees or so, 8) Maybe a small exageration but didnt feel like it that night. Saw my brother the next day at the V.A. as they were letting him go home so had a brief but nice first visit in 15+ years. Will go see him at his home later after he settles back in.
When you drive through the desert and see this, it's every drivers dream, Awww rain, cooler temps, right in front of me but its a teaser because (at least in my experience) it always follows the mountains AROUND you. LOL Anyway here I am in Arizona three trash days later. I want to go see my 80+ Mom in Texas but hotter and more humid there so will be later. Maybe go see my brother again in Douglas and actually stay a few days. Missing Montana and Alaska so will go there for a bit later in Sept and early Oct. then maybe Texas to see my Mom. Still have to make Marysville Wa, Portland and Philomth Or, and out near Chicago then can settle down for a long winters nap.





1 comment:

Ashleigh said...

When your in Washington you could go visit Sasha a the boys. They all just moved down to Olympia. love and miss you. Ruby says "Yaa yaa" I think it means hello!