Friday, August 19, 2011

Today was a day, was a day, was a ,,,,,,,

I think I have mentioned before that I try to walk a mile every morning and every evening. Well last evening I was at the half way point and one of those Arizona Monsoon gully washers came through. Amazing lightning (one hit so close the flash was still bright when I felt and heard the thunder), warm rain, and I was litterally dripping when I got back to the RV.

This morning however, was a different story. The sun was coming up behind the clouds and making for a nice golden, orange, red, and yellow sunrise. The colors were streaking across the sky just like on the Arizona Flag being trapped by the dark grey clouds that were blocking thier path. The effect was amazing to the untrained eye that only knows to enjoy beauty when you see it because in a minute it will be gone.

As some know my Yeep is a sick little Yeep these days. It started making a grinding noise in the bellhousing area. I originally thought it was the bendix (starter gear) not retracting fully. But being alone it is hard to get under there and rev it up at the same time. I bought a new starter and replaced it but the noise was still there. Some times it was a clank and sometimes a major grinding so I began to play with it and test it. I had the guy across the street from where I am camping rev it up and am now convinced that something broke loose in the clutch assy. Either a bolt broke or came loose or the pressure plate, either way it needs the transmission and transfer case removed and a new clutch assemply installed, maybe a new flywheel as well. I just did this on Jessicas Jeep in Juneau, actually I helped Jeremy do it and so I know whats involved and it isnt a one person job without the right tools. So, the across the street guy has a friend "Chuy" who is a mechanic and was going to do it today for only a leg instead of an arm and a leg and your first born like the shops. So this morning I had the Yeep all ready to go (Yes, I know I am typing a Y for yeep) but Chuy had a job interview so didnt make it. Hopefully tomorrow or I make other plans such as towing it somewhere else to have it done or get help and do it myself (Ketchikan?? LOL)

So, here I sat looking at another triple digit temperature day and already bored. I measured for a project at my hosts house but couldn't get parts so, what to do. A friend from high school called and during our conversation mentioned the bus so I looked it up and lo and behold a bus stop was right where I turn around on my walk and an all day pass was only $3.50. So a bus riding we did go. Originally I had no destination just liked the a/c, not driving, and sighseeing. A lot of places were the same and a lot changed. I could only remember one mall, the El Con so I headed that way. On my way we passed Der Wienerschnitzel and I couldn't get off the bus. Not only did they have amazing chili cheese dogs but Banana Splits were only $1.99. You can't imagine the overwhelming sadness I felt as we drove by. LOL When we got to El Con I saw an in and out burger place which is Ashleigh's husband Dan's favorite place here to eat at so I took a picture to tease him. I went in but it was lunch time and really packed.

Since I was on a no destination, no time of arrival, and no time of departure day I found a movie place. After paying and going inside I enjoyed a hot dog, and soda for only $9.50 and pretzel with dipping cheese for another $5. $25 bucks to see the movie Cowboys vs Aliens. Fortunately the movie was good, funny, and fun to watch. Then the bus back.

Hopefully tomorrow will see the little Yeep getting fixed. Til later. LOL

3 comments:

Dan said...

wow, movie outings are not any cheaper there I see.

Sherrie Jo said...

It's 57 and rainy this morning. Any way to sorta share our weather with each other?
We miss you.
hahaha These made up words for posting always crack me up. This one is gatessuc.

An Alaskan Gypsy said...

I miss 57, and quickly tired of 105. LOL
I hope to return to visit sooner than later but doing my last long roadtrip before winter. Leaving tomorrow for Oregon, then washington, Idaho, Montana,Dakotas, wisconsin, Illinois, Texas, New Mexico, back to Arizona.
6,000 miles since i left, having a good time and reliving a lot of my past. 8)